Chicken wings make such a perfect snack for get-togethers or anytime. You don’t have to limit yourself to what’s available in the frozen foods aisle or from restaurants, either. There are a lot of wonderful chicken wing recipes out there for you to make at home – forget buffalo sauce, there are soy-garlic recipes, coffee-liqueur recipes, etc. Great stuff!
Chicken wings, done ten wonderful ways
- Honey Garlic Wings – MomofukuFor2 has a wonderfully simple pan frying recipe for honey-garlic chicken wings, with just a touch of soy sauce. The soy sauce is the real secret here, because it brings out something in the other two main ingredients that’s just fabulous. I love the simplicity of this one – it doesn’t mess around with a lot of seasonings – it just combines a few delicious flavors into one terrific taste. The actual prep and cooking is also pretty simple with this one.
- Lemongrass Chicken Wings – Asian-inspired flavors like lemongrass, ginger, chile and lime make for a sweet, spicy, salty recipe. But it also has scallions and cilantro, so the overall effect is surprisingly international. This recipe goes great with margaritas.
- Caramelized Baked Chicken Wings – for those of you looking for a less fried version of this tasty treat. This baked recipe caramelizes the chicken wings in a ketchup/soy/garlic/honey mix.
- Bake ahead hot wings – this recipe is for the traditional hot wings flavor, but has a couple of advantages. You can bake them ahead of time, then pop them on the grill about twenty minutes before you want to serve them. While they’re grilling, you baste them in the sauce so they get nice and crispy and hot and spicy.
- Baked Parmesan Garlic Chicken Wings – Baked chicken wings crusted with parmesan, rosemary, thyme, cumin, basil and garlic. But it gets even better, because there’s a dipping sauce, too. And it’s made of bleu cheese dressing and dijon mustard. This is one unbelievably yummy recipe.
- Apricot-Glazed Grilled Chicken Wings Recipe – this recipe uses a hot sweet sauce made from apricot preserves, plus lime juice, balsalmic vinegar, garlic, fresh ginger and red pepper flakes. It’s a quick recipe, too – just put the sauce ingredients through a food processor, and then grill the wings while basting on the sauce.
- Buffalo recipe for campers – This recipe involves pan frying the wings in butter, which is simple enough for campers to do, but delicious enough to do at home, too.
- Coffee Liqueur Dipper Wings -Start with seasoned butter and add coffee liqueur to it (Kahlua’s fine, but Tia Maria will add more depth of flavor). Add hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and barbecue sauce. Marinate chicken wings in that. Broil chicken wings. Dip wings in a sauce, if desired. Eat wings. If it’s possible to die of pleasure, this might be the recipe to do it.
- Thai Chicken Wings with Peanut Dipping Sauce – A riff on traditional Thai chicken satay, this recipe takes chicken wings, spices them up nicely with seasonings and salsa, then gives you a no-sugar-added peanut sauce to dip them in.
- Crisp Chicken Wings with Chili-Lime Butter – Another Thai inspired recipe, but in this one the wings are done in Thai red curry butter, so this is a very different flavor. This is a fairly simple recipe to prepare – the cooking time is about 25 minutes of nice slow oven roasting. At the very end of the cooking and prep process, you squeeze lime juice over the wings, and that’s where this recipe really shines.