We’ll help you choose the best pruning shears for your gardening needs. Find what you need here, have it delivered straight to home, and get to work!
Check out our favorites here. Or scroll down for in-depth reviews.
- Fiskars Steel Bypass Pruning Shears
- Felco F-2 Classic Manual Hand Pruner
- Corona BP 3180D Forged Classic Bypass Pruner
- Gonicc Professional SK-5 Steel Blade Hand Pruners
- Fiskars PowerGear2 UltraBlade Softgrip Pruner
Gardening requires the right tools, and one essential tool is a good pair of garden shears. We’re going to take a look at the top 10 garden shears available on Amazon.
What to Look for When Buying Pruning Shears
Pruning shears are an essential tool for any gardener, enabling precise and effective pruning of plants, shrubs, and trees. However, with numerous options available on the market, choosing the right pruning shears can be overwhelming.
Here are some things to know and look for.
Types of Pruning Shears
There are different types of pruning shears available, each designed for specific pruning tasks:
- Bypass Pruners: These shears have two curved blades that bypass each other like scissors. Ideal for clean cuts on live branches.
- Anvil Pruners: Anvil pruners have a straight cutting blade that closes against a flat surface or “anvil.” Suitable for cutting deadwood or thicker branches.
- Ratchet Pruners: Ratchet pruners use a mechanism that allows you to cut in stages by squeezing the handles multiple times. Perfect for those with limited hand strength. Consider the type of pruning work you typically perform to determine which type of shears will best suit your needs.
Blade Material and Quality
The quality and material of the blades greatly impact the performance and longevity of pruning shears. Look for:
- High Carbon Steel: Blades made from high carbon steel offer durability, strength, and excellent cutting ability.
- Hardened Steel: Blades with hardened steel construction remain sharp over prolonged use.
- Non-Stick Coating: A non-stick coating on the blades helps prevent sap buildup and reduces friction during cutting motion.
Consider the maximum cutting capacity of the pruning shears to ensure they can handle the size of branches you typically prune. Most shears have a specified cutting diameter or thickness limit. Choose shears with a cutting capacity suitable for your specific pruning needs.
Ergonomics and Comfort
Pruning can be physically demanding, so choosing shears with ergonomic design features is crucial:
- Handle Design: Look for handles that fit comfortably in your hand and provide a secure grip. Consider options with non-slip or soft-grip handles.
- Shock Absorption: Some pruning shears feature shock-absorbing bumpers or cushions to reduce wrist and hand fatigue during extended use.
- Locking Mechanism: A secure locking mechanism is essential for safe storage and transportation of the shears.
Safety should always be a top priority when working with sharp tools. Consider the following safety features when purchasing pruning shears:
- Safety Lock: Shears equipped with a lock ensure they remain closed during storage, preventing accidents.
- Hand Guard: Some shears have built-in hand guards or finger protectors to prevent accidental slips while pruning.
Ease of Maintenance
Pruning shears require regular maintenance to keep them in optimal condition. Consider the following factors regarding maintenance:
- Blade Sharpness: Look for shears that are easy to sharpen or have replaceable blades.
- Cleaning: Opt for models with smooth surfaces and non-stick coatings, making it easier to clean off sap and debris.
Brand Reputation and Reviews
Consider the reputation of the brand when purchasing pruning shears. Research customer reviews and ratings to get insights into the performance, durability, and overall satisfaction of other users who have purchased the same model. Reputable brands often provide better warranties and customer support if issues arise.
Set a budget range before shopping for pruning shears as prices can vary significantly depending on the brand, quality, and features offered. While it’s important to invest in a quality pair of shears, consider your gardening needs and budget to find the right balance.