If you’re looking for a fun and inexpensive way to entertain kids, or you just want to enjoy some nostalgic bubble blowing yourself, you’ve come to the right place. We’re going to share several easy-to-make bubble solutions using common household ingredients.
The Fun of Bubble Blowing
Have you heard that bubble blowing can be a great activity for reducing anxiety and stress? It can! It’s a slow gentle experience that leads to a sense of peace and calm.
The focus on your breathing can act as a breathing exercise to calm the mind and refocus it away from all your worries.
The Basic Bubble Solution Recipe
To get started, let’s explore a simple and effective bubble solution recipe that forms the foundation for many of the variations we’ll discuss later. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups of warm water
- 1/2 cup of liquid dish soap
- 2 tablespoons of glycerin or corn syrup (optional, but recommended for stronger and longer-lasting bubbles)
- In a clean container, pour the warm water.
- Add the liquid dish soap and glycerin/corn syrup (if using).
- Gently stir the mixture to combine all the ingredients.
- Let the solution sit for at least 1 hour before use, allowing it to thicken and improve bubble stability.
Giant Bubble Recipe
If you’re looking to create massive bubbles that will leave everyone in awe, this giant bubble recipe is perfect for you. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 6 cups of warm water
- 1 cup of liquid dish soap
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of glycerin or corn syrup (optional)
- In a large container, pour the warm water.
- Add the liquid dish soap, cornstarch, baking powder, and glycerin/corn syrup (if desired).
- Stir the mixture gently until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Allow the solution to sit for at least 2 hours to achieve optimal bubble size.
Scented Bubble Solution
Add an extra sensory element to your bubble blowing adventure with scented bubble solutions. Here’s how to make them:
- Follow either of the basic bubbles recipes above.
- Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil or scented extract to the mixture.
- Stir gently to distribute the scent throughout the solution.
- Use scents like lavender, citrus, or strawberry to enhance the sensory experience.
Colored Bubble Solution
Who says bubbles have to be transparent? Experiment with vibrant colors by creating your own colored bubble solutions. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Follow the basic bubbles recipes above.
- Add a few drops of food coloring or liquid watercolors to the mixture.
- Stir gently until the color is evenly distributed.
- Use different colors to create a visually stunning bubble display.
“Edible” Bubble Recipe
If you have little ones who can’t resist the temptation to taste everything, you can create edible bubble solutions using safe and edible ingredients.
IMPORTANT NOTE: this is not for kids to drink. It’s safe if they catch bubbles on their tongues, but it still contains soap, which would upset their tummies if they consume too much.
- Can of soda in your kids’ flavor of choice
- 1/2 cup dish liquid
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- Pour the soda into a bowl and stir gently until the carbonation is gone.
- Pour 3 cups of the soda into a bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup corn syrup to it and stir until mixed.
- Add 1/2 cup dish liquid and stir very gently so it doesn’t become bubbly.
DIY Bubble Wands
Now that you have a collection of bubble solutions, let’s explore a few DIY bubble wand options to elevate your bubble-blowing experience. Here are a couple of ideas:
- Straw and Wire Wand:
- Take a thin piece of wire and shape it into a circle, leaving a long end for the handle.
- Insert the long end of the wire into a straw to create a wand.
- Dip the wand into your bubble solution and blow gently to create bubbles.
- Cookie Cutter Wand:
- Choose a cookie cutter with an interesting shape, such as a star or heart.
- Dip the cookie cutter into the bubble solution.
- Gently blow through the center of the cookie cutter to produce bubble shapes.
Feel free to get creative and experiment with different materials to design your own unique bubble wands!
Tips for Successful Bubble Blowing
To help you achieve the best results and maximize your bubble-blowing fun, here are some helpful tips:
- Choose a calm day with minimal wind to prevent bubbles from bursting before they float away.
- Avoid direct sunlight, which can cause bubbles to evaporate quickly.
- Dip the wand into the solution and let it soak for a few seconds before blowing.
- Experiment with different bubble solution recipes to find the one that works best for you.
- Encourage kids to blow slowly and gently so the bubbles won’t pop too soon.