If you’ve ever wondered if you can make butter mints at home, here is a very easy butter mints recipe. These little candies melt in your mouth and taste like a cross between buttercream and mint.
You probably remember butter mints from restaurants. There would be a little bowl of these candies bowl by the cash register or by the door as you left, and you could just reach in and grab some.
They disappeared over the years, replaced by individually plastic- or foil-wrapped mints and chocolates, or no candy at all. Few restaurants offer any little treats at the door anymore.
Butter mints were soft enough to melt in your mouth, and had a wonderful creamy mint flavor. They’re less popular these days, but you can make this homemade butter mints recipe yourself.
These candies are delicious, and wonderful to serve to guests at a party. They’re actually pretty easy to make, and it doesn’t cost a lot either.
The butter and cream cheese make it rich and delicious, and not quite like any other sweet treat. Especially modern sweets.
Related: you might also want to make homemade lollipops.
This recipe is designed to be incredibly easy and quick. The whole process just takes about 35 minutes.
You can find more complex recipes for butter mints, but these taste great and are so easy to make. And that’s what we’re all about here.
Before we get to the recipe, there are some exciting and creative variations you should know about.
Chocolate Butter Mints: add a tablespoon of cocoa powder to the mix in Step 3. You may want to leave out the mint extract. If you leave it in, you get Chocolate Mint Butter Mints. You should leave the vanilla extract in because it will complement the chocolate.
Strawberry Butter Mints: replace the mint extract with strawberry extract.
Cinnamon Butter Mints: replace the mint extract with cinnamon extract.
If you’re sensing a pattern here, you’re right. You can replace the mint extract with any extract you want for flavor.
Coffee Butter Mints: add 2 teaspoons coffee extract in Step 3. In this case, you should definitely leave out the mint unless coffee-mint is a flavor you want.
You can make butter mints at home using this recipe. These delicious little treats melt in your mouth, and are great for serving to guests.
- 1/2 package cream cheese (8oz package)
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: gel food coloring
- Sauce pan
- Put 2 tablespoons of butter and a half packet of cream cheese into a medium saucepan on low heat. Use a whisk to break up the cheese.
- Once the mixture is smooth, add one box of powdered sugar (10X) bit by bit, whisking as you go.
- Once you’ve added all the sugar, make sure the mixture is smooth with no lumps and remove it from heat.
- Optional: add gel food coloring. Add a few drops, stir them in, and then add more if desired.
- Add a quarter teaspoon of peppermint extract and a quarter tablespoon of vanilla and stir them in well.
- Put the mixture onto a sheet of tin foil and let it solidify into a round shape for a couple of minutes.
- Cut it into pieces like a pizza.
- Take a “slice” and roll it between your hands, then on a sheet of wax paper, until it forms a well-shaped log. Repeat the process with each slice.
- Slice the logs into bite-size mints.
- Let them air dry until they reach a dry, somewhat hard consistency.