This is my favorite cheeseball recipe. You can throw it together in just a few minutes, but it looks and tastes like you’ve gone to a lot of trouble. Normally, I would roll it in chopped nuts, but I didn’t have them on hand today. You can put it down in a decorative bowl or dish and serve it that way, or just like this.
What makes this cheeseball so easy is the use of soft cream cheese. But it doesn’t taste strongly of cream cheese. You also use some finely shredded cheese of your choice, and that’s where the flavor comes from. I’ve used a lot of different types of shredded cheese over the years in this recipe, and you can’t go wrong. My current favorite is Kraft Finely Shredded Mexican Style Four Cheese, but you can use anything you like.
The chopped bell peppers also contribute a lot to the flavor, along with the hint of onion. They give it a garden freshness that’s really nice.
If you do decide to roll this in nuts, I recommend walnut or pecan. Either will work here, but note that walnut has a nice, slightly bitter flavor while pecan is more sweet. Just spread the nuts out on a cutting board or other surface, and gently roll the cheeseball over them.
Ideally, you should refrigerate it for at least an hour before serving – up to 24 hours is great. The flavors are a little weaker if you serve it immediately, but it’ll do in a pinch.
It’s too hard to use as a dip, so serve it with crackers or any treat you can spread cheese over. Pictures here are Ritz crackers, but my favorite choice is Melba toast. Rye crackers are great, too.
This tasty cheese ball can be made in 15 minutes. The cream cheese keeps it spreadable while the Mexican shredded cheese gives it flavor, along with the peppers and onion.
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 cup of Kraft Finely Shredded Mexican Style Four Cheese
- 4-6 ounces of soft cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon of very finely chopped onion
- Chopped nuts (optional, preferably walnut or pecan)
- Put all the ingredients down in a bowl and knead it together thoroughly with your hands to get all the ingredients combined.
- Roll it in the nuts or, if you're not using them, mold it into a serving and storage dish.