This easy salmon salad recipe is a filling one-dish dinner you can make without cooking. You’ll only need about thirty minutes (maybe less) to make it, because there’s no cooking at all involved. It’s a simple, light delicious salad with red sockeye salmon and homemade thousand island (or the dressing of your choice, obviously).
A few tips on ingredients
When buying canned salmon, I look for the one with the highest amount of Omega 3 fats per serving (I like Royal Red and Wild Planet). Omega 3 is great for health, and most of us don’t get nearly enough of it. Note that the cans with the most Omega 3 contain skin and bones. The canning process softens those up so they’re perfectly edible. You don’t need to pick them out, and they’re really good for you. And it doesn’t taste or feel weird. Most canned salmon is wild caught, so if that’s important to you, you’re all set (there’s a lot of debate about whether farmed is as good as wild).
For the lettuce, I recommend bagged lettuce. I use a spring mix or whatever sounds good or is on sale.
You may also want to check out my Salmon Cake Recipe.
Salmon Salad Recipe
This Salmon Salad is so easy to make, and so healthy. Canned salmon has a ton of those good omega 3 oils, at a fraction of the cost of salmon steaks.
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 6 ounce can of red sockeye salmon
- Chopped tomatoes
- Sliced onions
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Sweet pickle relish
- Make a bed of lettuce.
- Put the chopped tomatoes and onions on top of it.
- Next, place the pre-cooked salmon on top of that.
- Add your dressing.
- I don't have specific measurements, and you can adjust the ingredients to taste anyway.
- Start by adding ketchup to the mayonnaise until you get that nice light orange color.
- Add the other ingredients to taste.
- f you find you've added too much onion, garlic or ketchup, just add more mayonnaise and take another run at getting the balance of ingredients right.
That’s really all there is to it. It’s low carb, high protein and a healthy serving of “good” fats from the salmon. Add a roll or some sort of bread item for carbs and you’ve got a really balanced meal. If you want to take just a little extra time, you can make your own fresh thousand island dressing instead of using store bought.