Peeling cooked potatoes is time consuming and annoying – one of those tasks most of us would prefer to avoid if possible. A friend recently forwarded me a link to a video in which Dawn Wells (yes, the actress who played Marianne on “Gilligan’s Island”) shows you a really simple way to peel a cooked potato.
In fact, with this method the potato practically peels itself. For those who can’t see the video or don’t want to wait for it, here’s what you do:
- While bringing your cooking water to a boil, take a sharp knife and score your potato all the way around the center.
- Put the potatoes into the water and let them cook about fifteen minutes.
- Prepare a bowl of ice water.
- Move the potatoes from the boiling water to the ice water with a pair of tongs.
- Move the potatoes around in the ice for about ten seconds.
- Pull a potato out. Grip it with one hand on either end, your thumbs near the center where you scored it. With your thumbs, push the potato skin away from the center. It just slides off!